Annemarie Graf September 11, 2020 Apple Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons cold butter
5 to 7 tablespoons orange juice
6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 1/8 inch thick)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add orange juice, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-1/2 in. beyond edge; coat the foil with cooking spray. Combine 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and pecans; spoon into prepared pie plate.
3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining butter; toss gently.
4. On waxed paper, roll out one ball of pastry to fit pie plate. Place pastry over nut mixture, pressing firmly against mixture and sides of plate; trim to 1 in. beyond plate edge. Fill with apple mixture.
5. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim to 1/4 in. beyond plate edge. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut four 1-in. slits in top pastry.
6. Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
7. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie.
Nutrition Facts :
1 slice: 613 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.