Augustine September 14, 2020 Apple Recipe
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup canola oil, divided
3/4 cup warm water (120°)
1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
6 cups chopped peeled apples (about 6 medium)
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons sour cream
1. Place flour in a mixer bowl; beat in 1/4 cup oil (mixture will be slightly crumbly). In a small bowl, slowly whisk warm water into beaten egg; add to flour mixture, mixing well. Beat in remaining oil until smooth. Transfer to a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rest in a warm place, about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Spread bread crumbs into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
3. Tape a 30x15-in. sheet of parchment onto a work surface; dust lightly with flour. Divide dough in half; place 1 portion on parchment and roll to a very thin 24x15-in. rectangle. (Keep remaining dough covered.) Remove tape from parchment.
4. Sprinkle 3/4 cup bread crumbs over rectangle to within 1 in. of edges. Starting 3 in. from a short side, sprinkle 3 cups apples and 1/4 cup raisins over a 3-in.-wide section of dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of the mixture over fruit. Drizzle with half of the melted butter.
5. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at fruit-covered end and lifting with parchment; fold in sides of dough as you roll to contain filling. Using parchment, transfer strudel to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; trim parchment to fit pan.
6. Bake on lowest oven rack 45-55 minutes or until golden brown, brushing top with sour cream 2 times while baking. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Using parchment, transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Editor's Note: To make fresh bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. Two to three bread slices will yield 1-1/2 cups crumbs.
Nutrition Facts :
1 slice: 285 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.