Augustine October 24, 2020 Fall Recipes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup water or broth
3 chipotle peppers from canned chipotles in adobo, diced, plus 3 tablespoons sauce*
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
½ teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lime juice, plus wedges for serving
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, a few pinches of salt and pepper, and stir. Cook until the onion is translucent, 5 minutes, then add the garlic and red pepper. Stir and cook until soft, 5 to 8 minutes, turning the heat down as needed.
2. Add the tomatoes, beans, water, chipotles, adobo sauce, corn, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chili has thickened.
3. Stir in the lime juice and season to taste. Serve with desired toppings.
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Jalapeño or serrano peppers, diced or sliced
- Pickled Onions