Arick Kraus October 28, 2020 Fall Recipes
Roasted Vegetables (yield 5 heaping cups raw veggies)
1 large leek, white and light green parts, chopped
½ medium red onion, chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 fennel bulb, chopped into ½-inch pieces
2 carrots, slice into thin rounds
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and halved
1 zucchini, sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
12 cherry tomatoes, left whole
extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
23 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
¼ cup nutritional yeast
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup loose-packed fresh basil
For the lasagna
12 lasagna noodles*
24 ounces store-bought or Homemade Marinara
1 packed cup chopped kale
2 cups grated smoked mozzarella cheese
sliced basil, for garnish
1. Roast the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the vegetables on the baking sheet and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and soft. Remove the vegetables from the oven and reduce the oven heat to 375°F.
2. Make the "ricotta": Break the tofu apart and place it in a food processor along with the nutritional yeast, lemon juice and zest, olive oil, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and process until creamy. Add the basil and pulse until incorporated.
3. In a large pot of salted boiling water, prepare the noodles according to the package directions, cooking until al dente.
4. Assemble the lasagna: Drizzle the bottom of an 8x12 or 9x13 pan with olive oil. Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce into the bottom of the baking dish and layer with 4 lasagna noodles. Spread with half of the ricotta mixture, half of the roasted vegetables, half of the chopped kale, and 2/3 cup of sauce. Add the next layer of 4 noodles and top with the remaining ricotta, the remaining roasted vegetables, remaining kale, and 2/3 cup of sauce. Top with the last layer of noodles, the remaining sauce, and the shredded cheese. Drizzle with olive oil.
5. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Check half way through the cooking time and if the cheese is becoming too browned, cover it loosely with foil. Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it sit for 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish with sliced basil.
*Note: do not use no-boil lasagna noodles.