Adelle Fuchs October 21, 2020 Apple Recipe
Pastry for 2 double-crust pies
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4-1/2 cups)
4 cups frozen or fresh raspberries
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Optional: Additional orange juice and sugar
1. Divide pastry dough into 2 portions so that 1 is slightly larger than the other; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2. In a Dutch oven, mix sugar and flour; stir in fruit, orange zest, orange juice and spices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender and juices are thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
3. Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of dough between 2 pieces of waxed paper into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; place a 13x9-in. baking pan upside down over crust. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert crust into pan. Remove waxed paper; press crust onto bottom and up sides of pan. Add filling.
4. On a well-floured surface, roll remaining dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle; cut into 3/4-in.-wide strips. Arrange strips over filling, sealing ends to bottom crust. If desired, brush crust with additional orange juice; sprinkle with additional sugar.
5. Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches): In a large bowl, combine 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. salt; cut in 1-3/4 cups shortening until crumbly. Whisk 1 large egg, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar and 1/2 cup ice water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
Test Kitchen Tips :
- Don't let the lattice intimidate you! Keep it simple by skipping the weave. Here we just layer strands for a faux lattice that looks equally stunning.
Have a to-die-for pie crust recipe? Swap it in to make this your own.
Nutrition Facts :
1 piece: 478 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.